Friday, September 24, 2010

sun schmun

Weather in this city is the same for the most part - making it especially difficult to answer questions regarding time and place.  Even answering a simple question such as "how long have you lived here" sends me into a momentary daze consisting of numbers, years, and interchangeable sunny memories (literally).

The cloudy days are therefore exhilarating.  The type of day that used to make it hard to get out of bed on the east coast feels like a holiday here.



I spent one of these most recent afternoons in Boyle Heights












After walking around for a few hours I was about to call it a day, but then I felt like I should keep walking.

I did and I came across this.


Aside from having the best name for a store, ever, it might be the most unique bookstore I've found.  David let me come in before he was officially open and snoop around.  He just moved back from D.C. where he held a position as the Literature Director at the National Endowment of Arts. 

He decided to open this store as kind of an experiment I guess, as opposed to a really solid business venture.

People in the neighborhood can borrow a book for free or purchase one for a dollar.  Outsiders like me pay half of the listed price.  I felt like I had time traveled which is one of the best feelings you can have I think.




His neighbor Paul came by to help put the sign on the door. It turns out he's an artist who is currently performing puppet shows in traffic.























3 comments:

  1. this is the best blog i've ever seen.

    ReplyDelete
  2. can i ride in an invisible sidecar?

    ReplyDelete
  3. very interesting please keep posting Wonder!
    really like the painting too!

    ReplyDelete