Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Come On Children - Hurry Up

 





Last night I watched the Allan King Film, Come On Children -A documentary/experiment where ten 13-19 year-olds were brought to live on a remote Canadian farm for 10 weeks, while having their lives taped. 

If you've also realized that you'll watch and love anything filmed in the 70's, I highly recommend it. If you're more accustomed to reality programming where there are hot tubs, incessant bickering and multiple arrests - this may not have much for you.  There is however a squabble involving the usual roommate gripes concerning chores and who's not pulling their weight, only the disgruntled maker of meals happens to be the future guitarist of Rush.

I didn't realize this until I researched the film afterward, since as a kid Rush kind of scared me.  I think my fear had something to do with a perhaps premature exposure to The Scrambler  - A ride at the local fair which existed in some other strobelit dimension beneath a dome blaring "hard rock" music while fiberglass seats whipped you around in rhythmic twists and jerks, granting you brief and blurry glimpses of the older kids every time your cars nearly collided. I desperately wanted moccasin boots and feathered hair just the same as them, but I knew I wasn't ready for what came with that look - Acid and Angel Dust. 










No comments:

Post a Comment